Whew, it’s been a busy November! Full of new endeavors, like pursuing my real estate license, and new projects both here at home and the mountain house. Due to the long-term nature of these projects (painting the exterior of my house, winterizing the mountain house), I don’t know how many will turn into great blog posts, we’ll just have to wait and see. But, I definitely want to share this incredibly simple and inexpensive semi-DIY holiday wreath.
Posts tagged ‘diy’
Our garage needed a little TLC. (Read: it was a hideous monstrosity of an eye sore that taunted me each time I traversed our driveway.) So, over the past few weeks I worked away at it, little by little to make it a better space. I’m really happy with how it turned out – it never ceases to amaze me the difference that paint can make. Here’s how I repaired the windows and gave the garage a face lift for $60.
As the month of October marches on, as do my attempts at inexpensive DIY Halloween decor. And, what front yard is Halloween ready without spooky and pun-filled tombstones? That’s not a rhetorical question, no front yard is complete without these. Here’s how I made these tombstones for $7.
Over the weekend, I started to get excited to decorate for Halloween, but with so many projects going on right now, I’m really trying not to spend much time or money on spookifying (hey, it could be a word) the house. To that end, here’s an easy and inexpensive way to let the neighborhood know you’re ready for trick-or-treaters using sidewalk chalk.
I chose my back steps for this display for two reasons. 1) The steps are under the patio roof so the chalk won’t wash away the next time it rains and 2) due to our parking set up, it’s the way most people enter the house. Read more
Not too long ago, some of the least attractive linoleum tile I’ve encountered was very loosely affixed to my bathroom floor. (This statement is even more meaningful if you’ve seen my old kitchen flooring.) As you might expect, I was nearly giddy at the thought of ripping it out and replacing it, even if I was going to replace it with more low cost flooring. After researching all available options, I opted for resilient vinyl flooring because it’s durable, comes in a variety of styles, and is super easy to install. Best of all, it was $58 for the whole bathroom or $1.60/square foot. Here’s how we did it:
As mentioned in earlier posts about my bathroom, the plastic tile wallboard was the big thing keeping me from updating the room. I was nervous to paint because the wall is plastic, so I didn’t know how well paint would stick especially since it has to withstand a lot of humidity. But, after some research and after staring at the gray/blue scattered floral wall tile, I decided to go ahead and paint – consequences be damned. I wanted a space that was more modern and felt larger. With that in mind, I chose to paint wide horizontal stripes in two neutral complementary colors. When working with plastic tile board, there is a lot of prep work – here’s how I did it.
There are moments while crafting or working on a home improvement project when I’ll remember how toxic some of the paints, cleaners and adhesives can be. But, using that not so good for you product is sometimes the only way to get something finished with the desired look, which makes it even more exciting when I find a way to get something done without having to use any creepy chemicals. Such is the case with this method of oh so easily removing paint from door fixtures with items that I’m guessing you have in your kitchen right now instead of harsh chemicals.