I’m happy to report that our chicken coop has made it one step closer to becoming our 12 x 12 guesthouse/office/studio (I know, it’s a lot to fit in 144 square feet). With the interior demo completed, which you can see here and the foundation repaired by my husband and father earlier this year, the next step was to make the building slightly less of an eyesore for our poor neighbors. It was just some lattice and paint, but I learned a couple of neat things along the way, so I thought I’d share. Plus, I have a strong affinity for before and afters.
Posts tagged ‘projects’
The privacy window I made during the bathroom mini-renovation last year (you can see that project here) has held up remarkably well. I worried a bit about peeling issues due to humidity levels inherent to bathrooms. But its stickiness hasn’t changed a bit since the day it was painstakingly applied. And, because we know that privacy and tons of natural light are not mutually exclusive, I decided to use this method again. This time I chose a simpler geometric pattern for a kitchen window that faces my driveway.
Whew, it’s been a busy November! Full of new endeavors, like pursuing my real estate license, and new projects both here at home and the mountain house. Due to the long-term nature of these projects (painting the exterior of my house, winterizing the mountain house), I don’t know how many will turn into great blog posts, we’ll just have to wait and see. But, I definitely want to share this incredibly simple and inexpensive semi-DIY holiday wreath.
Our garage needed a little TLC. (Read: it was a hideous monstrosity of an eye sore that taunted me each time I traversed our driveway.) So, over the past few weeks I worked away at it, little by little to make it a better space. I’m really happy with how it turned out – it never ceases to amaze me the difference that paint can make. Here’s how I repaired the windows and gave the garage a face lift for $60.
I’m in the middle of a mini-bathroom renovation. It started last week when one of the 12″ x 12″ light blue diamond patterned vinyl stick-on tiles loosened enough for me to see a black stain. Naturally, I immediately assumed this black stain was undoubtedly black mold. So, I pulled up the vinyl tiles and bleached the floor. Now all that’s left is to stick on some new flooring, right? Sure, except I don’t want to pick out any flooring that would in any way complement my walls, light fixtures or hardware because they are not complementary to anything that I have ever liked, ever. But, this is a bathroom we are living with until we start a major remodel so I don’t want to spend much. The goal is to stay under $150. Disclaimer: I like to think, that in most posts, I’m sharing a little beauty with the world. That is not the case with this post.
Next to a nice malbec, my wine of choice (especially in summer) is prosecco. It’s delicious, inexpensive, and has the power to make a small occasion feel like a celebration. After opening a bottle for a cook out last week, I looked a bit more closely at the cork and had an idea – in addition to providing economical bubbly, my prosecco provided the perfect base for a display card holder.
My dining room chairs are in great condition and as far as hand-me-downs go, pretty attractive. I knew I wanted to integrate them into my new dining room design (posts about that in the very near future) instead of buying something new, but the fabric really didn’t mesh with my design plans. So, I went to my local discount fabric store and got the three yards of fabric I needed for $1.50. Armed with a pair of scissors and a heavy-duty staple gun, I was able to reupholster four chairs in under two hours.
– before –
The bright turquoise seat really makes this chair look more youthful and now the metal finish actually looks less bronze and more silver. It’s amazing what $1.50 can do.