I like Cetaphil and coconut oil as much as the next person. But, I don’t like chemicals in my hand cream, I dislike buying non-recyclable plastic tubes, and toting coconut oil around town when it goes from solid to liquid with a warm breeze is flirting with disaster. So, lotion bars seemed like a no-brainer to add to my ever-growing inventory of homemade beauty products.
Posts tagged ‘how to’
Last month, my husband and I took a couple of weeks and traveled through parts of Europe that we’d been itching to see since before college graduation. After quite a bit of planning, we created an itinerary that hopped along the southern coast, starting in Istanbul and winding up in Barcelona. Our time in Istanbul was gorgeous, vibrant, entirely different from our cultural norm, and wildly inspirational. As a souvenir, we had a Turkish mosaic pendant shipped back to the US and this weekend we completed our first mini-project inspired by our trip by installing our new light in a room that desperately needed a fixture update.
I’m happy to report that our chicken coop has made it one step closer to becoming our 12 x 12 guesthouse/office/studio (I know, it’s a lot to fit in 144 square feet). With the interior demo completed, which you can see here and the foundation repaired by my husband and father earlier this year, the next step was to make the building slightly less of an eyesore for our poor neighbors. It was just some lattice and paint, but I learned a couple of neat things along the way, so I thought I’d share. Plus, I have a strong affinity for before and afters.
The privacy window I made during the bathroom mini-renovation last year (you can see that project here) has held up remarkably well. I worried a bit about peeling issues due to humidity levels inherent to bathrooms. But its stickiness hasn’t changed a bit since the day it was painstakingly applied. And, because we know that privacy and tons of natural light are not mutually exclusive, I decided to use this method again. This time I chose a simpler geometric pattern for a kitchen window that faces my driveway.
Recently, I surprised my husband for this birthday with a trip to Europe this September. I cannot express how happy I am that we each have extra savings accounts – I’ve been putting $10 a week aside for three years and I am so excited to use it for this adventure. Maybe you’re doing the math in your head right now and maybe you’re not, but I’ll make it easy on you and just say that this extra savings account covers our tickets, but not everything else. That’s where this little countdown project comes in. Having a visual representation of our upcoming trip will certainly help my lazy side that thinks as she saunters into kitchen, Cook? Nah, let’s order take-out or I’ll pick up coffee on the way instead decide to brew a pot and take a longer look in the pantry.
Not too long ago, some of the least attractive linoleum tile I’ve encountered was very loosely affixed to my bathroom floor. (This statement is even more meaningful if you’ve seen my old kitchen flooring.) As you might expect, I was nearly giddy at the thought of ripping it out and replacing it, even if I was going to replace it with more low cost flooring. After researching all available options, I opted for resilient vinyl flooring because it’s durable, comes in a variety of styles, and is super easy to install. Best of all, it was $58 for the whole bathroom or $1.60/square foot. Here’s how we did it:
As mentioned in earlier posts about my bathroom, the plastic tile wallboard was the big thing keeping me from updating the room. I was nervous to paint because the wall is plastic, so I didn’t know how well paint would stick especially since it has to withstand a lot of humidity. But, after some research and after staring at the gray/blue scattered floral wall tile, I decided to go ahead and paint – consequences be damned. I wanted a space that was more modern and felt larger. With that in mind, I chose to paint wide horizontal stripes in two neutral complementary colors. When working with plastic tile board, there is a lot of prep work – here’s how I did it.