Not too long ago, some of the least attractive linoleum tile I’ve encountered was very loosely affixed to my bathroom floor. (This statement is even more meaningful if you’ve seen my old kitchen flooring.) As you might expect, I was nearly giddy at the thought of ripping it out and replacing it, even if I was going to replace it with more low cost flooring. After researching all available options, I opted for resilient vinyl flooring because it’s durable, comes in a variety of styles, and is super easy to install. Best of all, it was $58 for the whole bathroom or $1.60/square foot. Here’s how we did it:
Posts tagged ‘bathroom’
As mentioned in earlier posts about my bathroom, the plastic tile wallboard was the big thing keeping me from updating the room. I was nervous to paint because the wall is plastic, so I didn’t know how well paint would stick especially since it has to withstand a lot of humidity. But, after some research and after staring at the gray/blue scattered floral wall tile, I decided to go ahead and paint – consequences be damned. I wanted a space that was more modern and felt larger. With that in mind, I chose to paint wide horizontal stripes in two neutral complementary colors. When working with plastic tile board, there is a lot of prep work – here’s how I did it.
There are moments while crafting or working on a home improvement project when I’ll remember how toxic some of the paints, cleaners and adhesives can be. But, using that not so good for you product is sometimes the only way to get something finished with the desired look, which makes it even more exciting when I find a way to get something done without having to use any creepy chemicals. Such is the case with this method of oh so easily removing paint from door fixtures with items that I’m guessing you have in your kitchen right now instead of harsh chemicals.
Let me preface everything I am about to say with the simple unwavering truth that I love claw foot tubs. I think they are beautiful, add great character to a bathroom and I especially love old cast iron tubs when they’re in the homes they were meant for. With all that said, having a claw foot tub doubling as the only shower in our home can be a bit of a pain. There’s no storage, sometimes being encircled by shower curtains can create a bit of claustrophobia (akin to the E.T. quarantine scene), and the tub itself takes up a lot more space than a conventional shower stall, space that would be nice to have in our 6′ x 6′ bathroom. But, on the small budget set for this mini-reno, buying a ready made storage solution wasn’t an option and for a few reasons, not very practical. So we quickly (about an hour) and cheaply ($18) made a storage solution for our showering supplies.
The crusade to update the bathroom continues! Flooring and wall treatments are in the works, but step one for the window is complete. I’m excited to share an awesome idea from Ashley at 7th House on the Left that can create privacy for any window. As with most projects, there’s usually a balance between time and money. You can pay a lot and get it done quickly, or you can take the cheaper route and spend more time. This DIY project was definitely the latter.
I’m in the middle of a mini-bathroom renovation. It started last week when one of the 12″ x 12″ light blue diamond patterned vinyl stick-on tiles loosened enough for me to see a black stain. Naturally, I immediately assumed this black stain was undoubtedly black mold. So, I pulled up the vinyl tiles and bleached the floor. Now all that’s left is to stick on some new flooring, right? Sure, except I don’t want to pick out any flooring that would in any way complement my walls, light fixtures or hardware because they are not complementary to anything that I have ever liked, ever. But, this is a bathroom we are living with until we start a major remodel so I don’t want to spend much. The goal is to stay under $150. Disclaimer: I like to think, that in most posts, I’m sharing a little beauty with the world. That is not the case with this post.
I’m in the midst of a bathroom mini-renovation (more on that later this week). But, due to every local hardware store being out of apparently everything, I couldn’t work on the bathroom over the weekend. On the bright side, that delay gave me the opportunity to work on a few accent pieces, one of which is this storage box.