Living in an older home can present some challenges when it comes to storage. Our master bedroom is fairly narrow, so narrow in fact that a console table wouldn’t fit along this wall. Instead, we installed a shelf to provide the storage we desired while maintaining the ability to walk through the room (also something we desired). Well, the shelf was installed two years ago and since then, it’s sort of acted as a catchall for loose change, receipts and primarily, my jewelry. But, this week I decided to tackle this annoying little corner of my home and made this space more functional and attractive for around $20.
Posts tagged ‘storage’
Let me preface everything I am about to say with the simple unwavering truth that I love claw foot tubs. I think they are beautiful, add great character to a bathroom and I especially love old cast iron tubs when they’re in the homes they were meant for. With all that said, having a claw foot tub doubling as the only shower in our home can be a bit of a pain. There’s no storage, sometimes being encircled by shower curtains can create a bit of claustrophobia (akin to the E.T. quarantine scene), and the tub itself takes up a lot more space than a conventional shower stall, space that would be nice to have in our 6′ x 6′ bathroom. But, on the small budget set for this mini-reno, buying a ready made storage solution wasn’t an option and for a few reasons, not very practical. So we quickly (about an hour) and cheaply ($18) made a storage solution for our showering supplies.
I’m in the midst of a bathroom mini-renovation (more on that later this week). But, due to every local hardware store being out of apparently everything, I couldn’t work on the bathroom over the weekend. On the bright side, that delay gave me the opportunity to work on a few accent pieces, one of which is this storage box.
When my husband and I bought our house two years ago, we knew that we were going to completely renovate the kitchen. But, because our house is quite a fixer-upper, we didn’t know when a kitchen renovation was going to take place. In the interim, we had to do something to make it livable. With a budget set at $600, we picked the most important and economical features to fix. This meant that appliances, counter tops and cabinets were off the list. But, we made a substantial visual impact by changing paint, fixtures, lighting, and flooring. And, we made a substantial functional impact by creating a work space from a previously unused area.